Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Mr. Know-all



Mr. Know-all

W Somerset Maugham, England (1874-1965)
b. Apply the four levels of interacting with the text “Mr. Know-all”.
Literal Comprehension:  The narrator was going to Japan from American us ship after world war I. He had to share his cabin with Mr.Kelad, a British citizen whom the writer disliked very much. Son he took different kinds of drink asking the narrator to have anyMr.Kelada seemed active in every activities and talked a lot. He insisted on winning the argument and never realized his mistake. Thus he was called Mr. know all. Ramsay friend of speaker was also there. While talking, Mr. Kelada claimed that he was perfect in pearl business and also claimed that he could know real price. Of pearl worn by Mrs. Ramsay claimed it just cost 18,000 dollars. While arguing in Mrs. Ramsay locked very terrified. Mr. Kelada judged it with magnifying glass and also confirmed by looking the gesture of Mrs. Ramsay. Mr. Kelada gave a hundred dollar note to Mr. Ramsay that made all people in the ship toe make fun letter addressed to Mr. Kelada indicating one hundred dollar note inside. Narrator was observing all that. When he knew that Mr. Know all was good person he had no hatred towards MrKelada at all.
Interpretation:  This story may be trying to tell us the concept of racial discrimination between whites and blacks. No doubt Mr. Kelada was social, honest, helpful etc. But his mistake was becoming unable to find out whether he was wanted or not. He was a bit arrogant in his opinion still he seemed to bear some insults not to break conjugal relation of Ramsay’s couple. The narrator had prejudiced on Kelada so he hated him but by last changed his attitude towards Mr. Kelada. The story also tell us not to leave wife away from you.

Critical Thinking: Though the story is talking about racial discrimination, there is some doubt. How can Mr. Kelada bring out so marry drinks at once? What is the reason in narrator himself despite of being hated a lot?
Assimilation: The story gave me a clear concept of racial discrimination. Whites hated blacks in USA or in Britain or elsewhere very much. H learnt that sometimes he should live for others although we get some insults ourselves. Mr, Kelada bears a lot for the conjugal life of Ramsay’s couple.
b. Retell the story “Mr. Know All” from Mr. Kelada’s point of view.
I am Max Kelada. Once after the First World War I was going to Yokohama, Japan by sea from San Francisco. In the ship I couldn’t get separate cabin but I had to share my seat with an Englishman. When I looked for my set partner I found him in smoking-rom. When I told him I was a British citizen to could not believe, so I showed my passport. To make him friendlier I offered him different types of drinks but he only liked to take Martini. Though I liked my best to make him talking a lot he disliked me. I wanted to please him anyhow. Then I started to show him some cards tricks though he disliked them too. Though we spent time a lot he didn’t like me much within couple of days I became familiar with all people in the ship. From my different tricks all people gave me new name as “Mr. Know All” . I liked that name as well


One evening there was a discussion about a Japanese made pearl. One of the ship partners Ramsay’s behaviours made e to show my identity as a dealer in pearl. I told them I could know everything about the pearls. I claimed that the pearl worn by Mrs. Ramsay was $30,000. I bet with him for 1,000 dollars if it was duplicate one. I looked the pearl closely and knew that it was original  one. When I looked at Mrs. Ramsay’s face she was turned into white. She seemed afraid and her gesture requested me not to open up the truth. I told a lie and gave $1000 to Mr. Ramsay. I was made fun that evening. Next day I knew that Mrs. Ramsay had brought is secretly but told her husband she bought only in 1800 dollars. Next morning Mrs. Ramsay pushed hundred-dollar note secretly to me. When my partner knew the reality. I was right about the pearl, he started to like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Why Vampires Never Die - Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan Question Answers

Why  Vampires Never Die               - Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan     Question Answers   In the article "Vampires Ne...